Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Daily Writing Practice: Blessing in Disguise

Prompt: Blessing in disguise.

A blessing in disguise, how many times have I heard that phrase. I mean, everytime that something went wrong, it might be a blessing in disguse, just watch and see what happens. Everytime I couldn't go somewhere that I wanted, or do something that I wanted, or talk to someone I wanted. Oh, it can be a true phase, although, I think I have heard it too many times for it to mean anything to me anymore....or at least I know I thought that for a long time.

You see I grew up in a religous family, in fact my father is a pastor, and my mom used that phrase more than I liked growing up. The problem was that she used it too much, to explain just about everything in life, especially things she couldn't explain otherwise. As I grew into adulthood, I bgan to think of the phrase as an excuse...if you didn't know a reason for something, or couldn't explain it, just call it a belssing in disguise and go on. It was probably that over-use of the phrase that lead me, or drove me, depending on your viewpoint away from church and religon for a long time.

It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I came to understand and apperciate that phrase again. Only after 5 years of fertility treatments and finally the birth of my son, did I see the benefit in not religion, but true faith in God, and the blessings in disguise in my life!! Back then I never would have called infertility a blessing in disguse, but as my children grow and develop, I realize that is was a major blessing that I didn't have my first until I was 31 years old. I don't think that I would have been the parent I am today, or had the patience that I have today if I had become a mother younger.

As the years went on, I began to see that God has a hand in my life, weather I want him to or not, and that he is leading it all, even when I didn't want to believe in him. He gave me the things I needed, but not in the time frame I wanted but in his time frame, and with his understanding, and I found that he knew better than I did. His time frame was so much better than mine. Blessings in disguise, well, life is full of them, some are large and some are small, and each day there is something, that maybe right then you find as a blessing and maybe it will take a few years, but each day is filled with blessings that the Lord has designed for us, if we only open or hearts and minds and welcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment