Monday, October 12, 2009

Daily Writing Practice: Lessons in the Dust

Prompt: Lessons in the Dust





1st Attempt:



Slowly walking through the house, everything covered in sheets, that once were white but now covered in dust. First the living room, and vision of fights over an old silky blanket in front of the tv with my brother. On to the kitchen and learning to make mayonaise from scratch, and cole slaw and sugar cream pie. Down the hall to the bedroom, sleeping on the sloor beside her side of the bed, while my brother was on the floor on his side, that was sleepovers and grammie's house. Remembering the times, the years I spent in that house, the people that shaped and molded me into the woman I am today, that are only a memory now. They are gone now, down the road in a small country church-yard, lying side-by-side in a shady spot near the back. I visited them today, before I stopped at the house. It is time to say goodbye, to let it go, to move on and to remember the lessons in the dust of the house, that no longer is mine to visit. Taking the lessons with me, to pass on to the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment