Thursday, February 2, 2012

Wicked Weaves by Joyce & Jim Lavene (A Renaissance Faire Mystery)

Wicked Weaves (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #1)Wicked Weaves by Joyce Lavene

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


A year-round, permament Renaissance Faire that is more like a real village, what could be a better basis for a new Cozy Mystery series.

It sounds good, but it just never made it for me. You have the VIllage itself, which I never really understood or could get into, the whole idea of people making a living in the village and acting all the time, just didn't get it for me, it just never felt real, it felt contrived.

Jessie is the lead character and I just couldn't believe in her, she seemed scatterbrained and unbelievable. I just could not get into her, she seemed too contrived, too made up not life-like. I just couldn't relate to her.

Mary was the basket weaver that she was working with this summer, and she was of the Gullah tradition, which was never really talked about, there was a few little mentions here and there, and it yet it influenced so much of Mary's life, it should have been explained more than it was.

There were some informational quotes about basket making that were neat, but they were few and far between and even them couldn't keep me interested in the book. In fact, it was all I could do to actually finish the book.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I got my kindle about 6 months ago. Some books have been great and some I can barely get through. Do you post your reviews on amazon? I started doing that hoping to share my thoughts with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not posted review on Amazon. Not really sure why. I tend to post all my reviews on Goodreads.com and then on my blog. I like Goodreads and find it to be a great place to talk to other people, find new books, and share reviews.

      I use Paperbackswap.com to swap books, and so I will post a review of the book when I list it on there, also.

      Delete