Sunday, May 22, 2011

Picking up the pieces

Did you ever know one of those people who just can't make a relationship work? Ii mean, they try and try, but it never works out and they end up alone and needing someone to help them pick up the pieces. And why do i have to be that person? Is it something about me that makes people younger and older think I have all the answers?

So I am used to this. I have been picking up the pieces after every relationship ends, and I have been taking care of two people all my life, but I just wonder if it will ever end, or will I spend the rest of my life taking care of them? One is my younger brother and I don't mind that. I am suppose to take care of him, but the other is my father, and isn't he suppose to be there for me instead of me picking up his pieces?

My brother called me today crying. He was all upset. My Dad's latest wife had left him. So I spent some time talking my brother down and getting him calmed down. Got him to a better place and so I had one crisis down, but another left to go.

So I suck it up and make the call to my Dad, and it actually went better than I thought. He talked to me for a bit. She rally did leave and it was over, and i guess he saw it coming because he sounded better than I expected. He is working and taking care of the farm. He swore to me that he isn't drinking, and he didn't sound like he had been, so I am hopeful.

I love my Dad, but I have known for years that he has problems, namely he is an alcoholic although he has been sober for years at a time, anything can set him off on a binge an usually the breakdown of a relationship is one of those things. And my grandparents ha always been there to me talk to him and keep him sober, or pull him out of a binge. Grandma's been gone for 7 years now, and he had his last binge not longer after her passing, and grandpa an I pulled him out of that, an then he met his latest wife. He did really good in that she kept him sober, and even when grandpa passed he didn't go on a binge.

This is the first time I am going to be on my own to keep him on the right road! I am actually scared, but at the same time, i am going through so much in my own life, I don't know how I can handle this. Of course my first thought, my first instinct is to push my problems aside and deal with this other crisis first, because it's my "duty". I hope i never leave my kids feeling like they have to clean up after me, or take care of me, or that my crisis are more important than their lifes.

Lord give me wisdom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment