Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book Review: Town in a Blueberry Jam

Town in a Blueberry Jam (Candy Holliday, #1)Town in a Blueberry Jam by B.B. Haywood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


As I was posting a review of one of the books I read in the last week or so, a list popped up to the side that gave me some other titles that people who liked the book I original read also liked, and so I wrote down a number of the titles, and got on the library website and reserved a few.



Yesterday I went by the library and picked up the books I had reserved, and a few others I found on the shelves that looked interesting, and so today I finished this book.



I found it to be a wonderfully written and cute book. We have the main character, Candy Holliday, who has seen what she thought was her perfect world fall apart after her husband loses his job, starts a small business that fails, and he decides he wants a new wife and moves across the country. Her mother passes away and her Dad persuses the dream that they had together to buy a small blueberry farm and retire, and so she moves to the blueberry farm with Dad.



She seems to be just exsisting in life, not really sure what she is doing and not entirely happy, but comfortable, when two local legends in town are murdered within days of each other, the local handyman, a sweet and innocent, almost childlike man named Ray is arrested for the murder and Candy knows, along with the rest of the town that there is no way Ray did it, but the police are sure it was him, so Candy takes it upon herself to do a little snooping.



As the book works its way through, Candy and her friend Maggie develop an even closer bond, she lands a writing job for the local newspaper and well as baking blueberry pies as a side job, and finds her friendship with the local baker, Herr Georg tested and proven. She also finds that she wants nothing more in life than to be right where she is, Cape Wellington Maine, on a blueberry farm with her father and the friends she has come to know and love.



It fits in that "cozy mystery" genre that has sprung up, but yet it is different than most of those I have seen. More set on the town and the main character than the place or craft.



If you love a good mystery, then this is your thing. As a bonus, there are some great blueberry receipes in the back of the book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment