Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review: Found (The Missing, #1)

Found (The Missing, #1)Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Every year, one of the things I do to help out at the schools my children attend is to work the BookFair. The BookFair is where lots of great books are sent into the school library by Scholastic and they are up for purchase by the students and parents and the school receives money in return from the sales. I love working the BookFairs.

This year, I purchased this book, it was the first time Book 1 in the series had been there, they had book three last year, but this was the first time I saw book 1, so I bought it, and took it home and read it myself! Funny thing was, I bought the book Friday morning and had it finished by the time the dance ended Friday night and I had to take my daughter home!

Jonah is the main character, and he is 13 years old. He has always known that he is adopted and never really thought about it. He has a new friend Chip, that just moved to the neighborhood and they have fun together, but it is still the beginnings of the friendship. And then there is Jonah's sister, Katherine, who isn't adopted.

The whole story starts with a letter in the mail. Jonah receives a letter and all is says is "You are one of the missing", six little words. They all see the letter, and finally it is brushed off as a prank, that is until Chip gets home and finds that he got a letter. He thinks it's funny, because he thinks it means the new kids in the school have accepted him and anyway he isn't adopted, until his father has to admit that he is. What, now this rocks Chips world because his parents have "lied" to him for 13 years.

The letter and the "lie" lead the three to start looking into Chip and Jonah's adoptions and to find out more information, which leads to the biggest mystery of all.

It is so well written, easy enough for children to understand, but even as an adult, I have loved the book! Now I am passing it on to my son to read, and looking forward to reading book 2 in the series. As of right now, I know that there are four books in this series, and they seems to be a huge hit with the kids, as a number of the teachers were buying or wish-listing this series at the BookFair.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment