Wednesday, May 2, 2012

West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life by Jerry West

West by West: My Charmed, Tormented LifeWest by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life by Jerry West
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I received this book through the Goodreads First-Reads program. I like stories about real people, and I love hearing how they overcame things to become the people they are today.

This was a good book, but I am just not enough of a basketball fan to really understand and get into it all. I know, I live in Indiana, how can I not be a basketball fan, I don't know, trick of fate, but I have never really been all that into basketball, now football is another story altogether.

There were parts that were really good. The back history into his life, how he made friends and never seemed to notice the differences in skin color between people. I loved that, and I understood it and could grasp it. There were other parts, and to made it almost felt like a lot of name-dropping, when he would talk about another player, had how they did this or that, and tell their story and then wind it back to him. I just got lost in some of those and really had a hard time reading the whole book, as you can probably tell because of the amount of time that has passed since I got the book, until I finally started reading it until now! I mean, it really took me a long time to read this, because I had to keep putting it down and walking away from it for awhile before i could go back and read more.

Now, if you are a die-hard basketball fan, you will love this book. You might enjoy all the references to other players and times and accomplishments and the like. I still think the book was well-written and that it would appeal to men, but i just couldn't do it more than I did.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment