Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My son came home from school one day with this book, and said Mom could you help me read this. I ws over-the-moon. You have to realize this was the boy that had struggled with reading, had a tutor one whole summer, and was still almost a full grade level behind. He hated to read, it was a struggle and it was an out-and-out fight to get him to read.  So when he came home and asked to read this, I was happy to.

Every night before bed I would read a couple of chapters, then it became more and more chapters at a time as he got more and more into the book, and then it began earlier in the night, so that the girls could listen to. He listened as I read, night aftr night, chapter after chapter, and even book after book, until we finished the whole series.

When the movie came out, my husband and I took the whole family to se it, and we talked in the car all the way home about the things they changed, they took out, they messed with and what not. About how it differed from the book.

As few days after the movie, my son once again came home with the book. This time, he was going to read it again, but by himself this time, instead of Mom reading, and he did, in fact he read the whole series again. Now he waits with baited breathe for each new Rick Riordan book to come out. Thank you! From the bottom of a mother's heart for a book that made my son want to read!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment