Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Barbie's Dream Townhouse

I was never much of a Barbie girl growing up. I mean I had a few, but I never really played with them like they advertised on tv, and I never had the Dream House, or the Camper or the Car or any of that stuff. Fastforward 30 some years and I now have two daughters of my own, and I am learning Barbie all over again.

My girls play Barbie like I never did. Maybe it is because there are two of them, and they can play together, nicely, for hours with the Barbies. I mean they love them, they have elabrate lives for these dolls and works and school and it is just amazing to listen to them.

So this year for Christmas, my youngest wanted the Barbie 3-story Dream Townhouse. I really was not in the mood to buy something like that, but she really wanted it, but when I went to look for it, it was sold out everywhere. Now she ended up getting new dolls and clothes and she was happy, but she really wanted that house. She also got money for Christmas, and she decided to buy the house herself. So I placed the order online at walMart and it arrived at the store last night, so I am off to pick it up today.

We did have a deal about this house, if she got this, then she would get rid of all the other little house things she had, like the old Dora playhouse that they never use. She was all for that, so before I heard to the store to pick up the house, all the old things are going out.

I have to say, one good thing about my girls loving their Barbies, is that when they think of something they want for them, their first thought is "Mom, can you make....." and that makes me feel good. I crocheted backpacks, that you could actually put stuff in, for the Barbies a couple of weeks ago, and two coats last week. I have made rugs and blankets, pillows and such in the past. I've done a dress and a hooded cape, so it makes me feel good to have the girls ask me to make stuff, and it feels good to think and design something on the fly that will work.

I think I am enjoying the Barbies more now than I did as a kid, but for a whole different reason now. I love being asked to help, to make things for them, and I love watching the girls play with the things I have made them. It makes me feel good as a person and as a mom. Maybe having girls isn't all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment