Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Baker' Wife by Erin Healy

The Baker's WifeThe Baker's Wife by Erin Healy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received this book through the GoodReads FirstReads program, and I am sure glad I did! I had been putting off reading it, something about it, it just kept ending up in the bottom of my too-read pile, but for some reason the other weekend, I say no more and read the book, and i am so glad i did.

I don't want to give away too much of the story, but I LOVED this book.

The chief detective is the stereo-type of what so many people think of when they hear the word Christian. He thinks he knows the Bible, he knows what God wants and he is perfect, he is without blame for anything and everyone else has sinned, and no matter what he encounters throughout the book, or how many people tell him he is wrong, he can't see his own sin and mistakes. He still thinks he is perfect, even after breaking the law and taking people hostage! i loved it, and yet at the same time I felt sorry for him, but man he had so many chances to change and to admit he was wrong.

His wife, Julia is another matter. After being married to him for so long, she rejects and even hates religion. She is sure that he is wrong, and she has went to the other extreme of her husband, so much as to reject that there i any place in the world for God, and it has effected their daughter, so much so that she sets out to seduce the preachers son, just to prove that they aren't perfect like her dad claims they all are. She is bent on destroying someone just to prove her dad wrong, but along the way she ends up destroying herself. Luckily, she is young enough and is open enough to the people around her to figure things out and to save herself and form some kind of life for the future.

All the characters in the book, twist and wind around into a full circle and as that is unfolding, it is amazing to listen to and to see them each grown and understand life in their own way, and to forgive and move on and become real people. it is not a Christian book in that is preaches a lifestyle to you, if just happens to revolve around a church and one man who thinks he has all the answers. The "baker" and hi wife, and more of the main character, actually, the wife, and I haven't even mentioned them.

Since reading this, I have told a number of people about it, and I was reluctant to start this book, but it turned out to be one of my all-time favorites. In fact, if I can get this to-read pile down, I might just have to read it again!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment