Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Review: Death Swatch

Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)Death Swatch by Laura Childs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I love to Scrapbook, in fact I have a number of albums in progress for my children and for holidays and such. I am always checking out new techniques and supplies. So I guess it comes as no surprise that I liked this book.

When the author is describing Memory Mine, the Scrapbook story, I can see it clearly in my mind, and when she talks about a technique that they do in the store, I can clearly see exactly what she is talking about, and I think that is probably one reason that I really like this series.

Carmela has grown in the books, less dependent on the ever-present, and still soon-to-be-ex-husband Shamus after all these books. Yes, Shamus is still dragging his heels and not settling the divorce. The longer the series goes the more party-boy Shamus becomes and the more grown woman Carmela becomes.

Ava, her bet friend, is still there and more grown up and less flighty. But then again, it has been a long time since I read the first of the series. I started it when the series first came out, but then lost track of it waiting for the next book to come out, and just revisited it now while I am waiting for more books to come out in other series.

I tend to do that, get interested in one series and read all that are out in that series, then move on to another series. Kinda hoping that logging the books I have read here will help to keep me from losing a series again.

Anyway, the mystery revolves around Mardi Gradi, and the facts and history of the krewes that are included in the book, make it that much more fun. I find that I enjoy learning about the unquie way of life that is New Orleans, and since this book occur after Hurrcaine Katrina, and talks about the slow road back, I feel it is a great boast to the city. I think that the books have been a great resource and have given people insight into New Orleans.

Carmela get talked into invetigation the murder of a friend, and as that goes, he does a good job of putting together a lot of mall clue, that finally lead to the answer and who did the murder. Although there were some dead-ends and false leads, he finally stumbles onto the correct answers.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment