Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book Review: Grace Under Presure

Grace Under Pressure (Manor of Murder, #1)Grace Under Pressure by Julie Hyzy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


At the library the other day, I picked up 5 books by this author, the two in this series and three in the White House series, in which I had read the first. I was sitting in the car at Boy Scouts trying to decide, do I read book two of White House or start the other. Well, since there were only two books, I started this one.

I loved this book. The history and grace of a large old Manor House full of art and treasures is amazing, and the way thing are decribed and detailed is wonderful, I can almost imagine myself sitting at the Manor House, and the care in with which Grace, the main character feels for the house is wonderful.

When a murder occur at the Manor House, the detectives are not prepared in this mall town, and really have almost now clue what to do, although they do work the case, it's a more laid-back approach, and Grace wants answers and he wants them now. So she digs around and come up with answers and passe them on to the police, yet they are not sure what to do with most of hat she says, but they don't get over-wrought at her. In the end, she solves the murder, and in he process solves a second scam scheme going on in town too.

Now the back of the book talks about Jack Embers, but he is not a romantic interest quite yet. They have talked, and had plans for a first date that got cancelled, so that as kinda nice, the author didn't throw in a romantic man to carry the main character, she carrie herself, and it will be good to take some time to let any relationship grow in that area.

Grace inherited an old "painted lady" house, you know the Victorians with all the trim and gingerbread, but it is not in the bet of shape. Her parents rented it out for a long time, then her mother moved back, but soon got sick and there was just more to do than there was money or time. So Grace rented out some of the rooms, to a nice freindly couple who own a small wine shop in town, Scott and Bruce. They are her friends and confidontes at thi point. She looks to them for alot, but also shares with them alot of pain and joys.

I thought the characters were intriging and I look forward to the next book to see where they go. I want to know more about these people, and in a book, that is hat keeps you reading. So, off to a doctors appointment with the next book tucked in my purse.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment